When a person gains an extreme amount of weight, the skin stretches to accommodate the extra body mass and eventually loses most of its natural elasticity. Because the skin is no longer capable of returning to its original shape, a person who loses a massive amount of weight is often disappointed by excessive folds of skin. A board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Robert Herbstman has over 20 years of experience in body contouring after weight loss surgery. New Jersey patients visit his practice to attain the firm, contoured figure they envision for themselves.
Dr. Herbstman takes a personal approach to each patient’s care. See the difference when you visit his practice in East Brunswick and Red Bank.
Body Contouring Options
Most people who achieve massive weight loss may need a body lift to tone and tighten their bodies. A body lift is not a single procedure – it is a combination of procedures that are designed to address the patient’s individual needs and desires. Dr. Herbstman will recommend the appropriate combination of procedures tailored to meet your body contouring needs:
- A tummy tuck to tighten and flatten the abdomen by eliminating excess skin and fat, and repairing separated abdominal muscles, if necessary.
- A mid-body lift to improve the waist, hips, and back. This procedure often incorporates a tummy tuck.
- A thigh lift to tighten the loose skin around the inner and outer thighs.
- A buttock lift to raise and shape the buttocks. This procedure can provide attractive results on its own and enhance a thigh lift by providing a more comprehensive improvement.
- An arm lift to restore a firm appearance to the upper arms. This procedure requires an incision that extends from the armpit to the elbow on the inside of the arm. Although this incision will leave a permanent scar, most patients see the scar as a worthy trade-off.
During a personalized, in-depth consultation, Dr. Herbstman will ask you to describe your specific concerns and evaluate your health and overall physical condition. If he determines that surgery will be safe for you, he will recommend the appropriate combination of procedures to meet your contouring needs.
What to Expect
Dr. Herbstman is a board-certified plastic surgeon in New Jersey who performs most cosmetic surgery at his fully-accredited, onsite surgical suite using twilight anesthesia or general anesthesia. Mid-body lift is an extensive surgery that often requires an overnight hospital stay. Recovery is generally 2 to 4 weeks. Although a few procedures can be combined in one surgery, many New Jersey patients who went through massive weight loss require multiple surgeries to safely address all of their concerns. Sufficient time must be scheduled to allow for safe healing and recovery.
To learn more about body contouring surgery and how it can help you improve the shape of your body, request a consultation online or contact our office in East Brunswick or Red Bank, New Jersey by calling (732) 253-4404.