New Jersey patients with large breasts may suffer from a variety of medical problems, including back and neck pain, skeletal deformities, and skin irritation. Many women also face personal challenges related to the large size of their breasts and feel self-conscious or embarrassed about their body.
Dr. Robert Herbstman performs breast reduction surgery to help his New Jersey patients increase their comfort, avert future medical problems, and have greater confidence in their appearance. The procedure is a common and well-established approach to resolving these physical and aesthetic concerns.
Aesthetic and Medical Improvement
Decreasing the size of the breasts is only one of the goals of a breast reduction. New Jersey patients choose his practice in part because of Dr. Herbstman’s attention to detail, creating attractive, cosmetically appealing outcomes.
Unlike a standard breast lift, the procedure removes both excess skin and breast/fat tissue. During the surgery, Dr. Herbstman raises the position of the breasts at the same time that he makes them smaller. This creates a more beautiful and youthful appearance. As a result, you can expect aesthetic benefits with a breast reduction as well as an immediate improvement in your comfort and alleviation of symptoms.
At Contemporary Plastic Surgery, Dr. Herbstman guides all consultations, pre-operative visits, and post-operative appointments. Close collaboration lets patients develop confidence in their care and a lasting relationship with their doctor. Our practice frequently sees patients return as their aesthetic needs change over time. These relationships are one of the most rewarding aspects of Dr. Herbstman’s work.
During your first visit to our New Jersey offices, Dr. Herbstman will:
- Learn about what you want to accomplish with your treatment. Patients often have different ideas about how they want their breasts to look after a reduction, and the consultation is an important time to explore your preferences.
- Help you decide how big you want to be following surgery. Most commonly, women want to have breasts that are full and sized to their frame but not as large as they were before. However, some patients want their breasts to be significantly smaller.
- Talk with you about your options for breast reduction surgery. Tailoring your procedure to your needs and goals is what will allow him to provide a successful outcome.
- Explain the medical restrictions related to the procedure. In general, Dr. Herbstman must leave a certain amount of tissue in place to maintain proper blood supply to the nipple and to give the breast an overall pleasing shape. He can usually provide a good estimate of how much tissue he will need to remove to meet a patient’s aesthetic ideal.
Some of our New Jersey patients are able to have insurance cover a portion of their breast reduction. Note that coverage may be based on meeting certain thresholds, such as having a certain amount of tissue removed during the surgery. Dr. Herbstman and our staff can assist you in planning treatment around this and other needs.
What to Expect With Breast Reduction Surgery
Dr. Herbstman performs breast reduction procedures under general anesthesia in the comfort and safety of an accredited ambulatory surgical center. An overnight hospital stay is not required. During the surgery:
- Herbstman will remove excess fat, glandular tissue, and skin. Typically, he will take most of the excess from the side and beneath the breast while preserving the central, upper, and inner tissue.
- He will then reposition the nipple and areola higher on the breast. The result will be a naturally shaped, full, and youthfully positioned appearance.
You can expect to be discharged 1-2 hours after surgery and to return to work comfortably within two weeks. Swelling should reduce completely within about three months, and you should be able to see the final results of the procedure at that time. Breast reduction may also be combined with liposuction for New Jersey patients who want further improvements in their body proportions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will changes in my weight affect the size of my breasts after a reduction?
Whenever you gain or lose a significant amount of weight, you can expect some change to the appearance of your body, whether it’s your arms, legs, or chest. However, this type of weight fluctuation should not completely undo the effects of a breast reduction, and you will not regrow the breast tissue that has been removed.
Will I still be able to breastfeed after the surgery?
In Dr. Herbstman’s experience, breast reduction procedures have a low risk of altering the function of the gland or nipple. There is also a low risk of losing sensation in the nipple or breast after the surgery.
Find out more about breast reduction with Dr. Herbstman. Get in touch with Contemporary Plastic Surgery for an appointment at either our Red Bank or East Brunswick offices in New Jersey. Dr. Herbstman is personally committed to each patient’s care. See the difference when you visit his practice in East Brunswick and Red Bank. To learn more about breast reduction, request a consultation with us online or give us call.