New Jersey patients with large breasts may suffer from a variety of medical problems, including back and neck pain, skeletal deformities, and skin irritation. Many women also face personal challenges related to the large size of their breasts and feel self-conscious or embarrassed about their body.
Dr. Robert Herbstman provides breast reduction surgery to help his New Jersey patients increase their comfort, avert future medical problems, and have greater confidence in their appearance. The procedure is a common and well-established approach to resolving these physical and aesthetic concerns.
Aesthetic and Medical Improvement
Decreasing the size of the breasts is only one of the goals of a breast reduction. New Jersey patients choose our practice in part because of Dr. Herbstman’s focus on attractive, cosmetically appealing outcomes.
Unlike a standard breast lift, the procedure removes both excess skin and tissue. During the surgery, Dr. Herbstman raises the position and reshapes the breasts at the same time that he makes them smaller. This creates a more beautiful and youthful appearance. As a result, you can expect aesthetic benefits with a breast reduction as well as an improvement in your comfort.
At Contemporary Plastic Surgery, Dr. Herbstman guides all consultations, pre-operative visits, and post-operative appointments. This individual care and attention allows patients to develop confidence and forge a lasting relationship with the doctor. Our practice frequently sees patients return as their aesthetic needs change over time. These relationships are one of the most rewarding aspects of Dr. Herbstman’s work.
During your first visit to our New Jersey offices, Dr. Herbstman will:
- Learn about what you want to accomplish with your treatment. Patients often have different ideas about how they want their breasts to look after a reduction, and the consultation is an important time to define your preferences.
- Help you decide how big you want to be following surgery. Most commonly, women want to have breasts that are proportionately sized to their frame. However, some patients want their breasts to be significantly smaller.
- Talk with you about your options for breast reduction surgery. Tailoring your procedure to your needs and goals is what will allow him to provide a successful outcome.
- Educate patients about certain technical details of the procedure. In general, Dr. Herbstman must leave a certain amount of tissue in place to maintain proper blood supply to the nipple and to give the breast an overall pleasing shape. He can usually provide a good estimate of how much tissue he will need to remove to meet a patient’s aesthetic ideal.
Some of our New Jersey patients are able to have insurance cover a portion of their breast reduction. Note that coverage varies by insurance carrier and may be based on meeting certain thresholds, such as having a certain amount of tissue removed during the surgery. Dr. Herbstman and our staff can guide you in planning treatment around this and other needs.
What to Expect With Breast Reduction Surgery
Dr. Herbstman performs breast reduction procedures under general anesthesia in the comfort and safety of our accredited on-site surgical center. An overnight hospital stay is not required. During the surgery:
- Dr. Herbstman will remove excess fat, glandular tissue, and skin. Typically, he will take most of the excess from the sides of and beneath the breast while preserving the central, upper, and inner tissue.
- He will then reposition the nipple and areola higher on the breast. The result will be a naturally shaped and more youthfully positioned appearance.
You can expect to be discharged 1-2 hours after surgery and to return to work comfortably within two weeks. Swelling should reduce completely within about three months, and you should be able to see the final results of the procedure at that time. Breast reduction may also be combined with liposuction for New Jersey patients who want further improvements in their body proportions.