Patients in New Jersey who are unhappy with their sagging belly may benefit from a tummy tuck. Also known as an abdominoplasty, a tummy tuck works to cut away excess fat, tighten the abdominal muscles, and remove excess skin to create a toned, slimmed belly. In particular, this procedure is an excellent choice for both men and women who have lost a lot of weight or are struggling with the changes aging brings about.
What Are the Benefits of a Tummy Tuck?
There can be both cosmetic and medical benefits of a tummy tuck for New Jersey patients. Cosmetically, patients will enjoy a flatter stomach with less drooping skin and better muscle tone. This will help them feel more confident in their bodies, especially when donning a swimsuit or other belly-revealing clothing.
Medically, some patients can experience the following benefits:
- Correction of a ventral hernia, which is when the intestines break through the abdominal wall and create a sack of tissue.
- Correction of stress urinary incontinence, which is when there’s too much pressure on the bladder, causing a person to pee at inopportune times.
- Decrease in back pain, which can happen if the stomach muscles are too weak (especially after pregnancy).
- Improved posture, which can also happen because the abdominal muscles are too weak.
Is a Tummy Tuck Right for You?
Many people can benefit from a tummy tuck at one of Dr. Herbstman’s New Jersey offices. In particular, it’s a great choice for those who:
- Have loose, sagging, or excess skin in the belly.
- Recently lost a lot of weight and can’t seem to flatten their tummy like they want.
- Have gotten older and are unhappy with the natural changes to their belly.
- Have given birth and are unhappy with the stretched-out appearance of their stomach.
- Have separated or stretched abdominal muscles (usually after being pregnant).
- Are healthy enough to tolerate surgery and don’t smoke (as smoking impairs recovery).
Patients should keep in mind that a tummy tuck is not a weight-loss procedure. While some fat will be removed during the surgery, it’s minimal — patients shouldn’t even notice a change on the scale afterward. Because of that, patients need to be at or close to their ideal weight before the surgery.
To know for sure if they are candidates, patients are urged to schedule a consultation with Dr. Herbstman. Even if a tummy tuck isn’t the right choice, Dr. Herbstman can devise a treatment plan that perfectly meets every patient’s needs.
What Is the Cost of a Tummy Tuck?
The cost of a tummy tuck is highly variable, so it’s hard to quote a price without an initial consultation. In addition, many people like combining a tummy tuck with other procedures, such as a breast lift, so this can also affect the cost. The best way to know for sure what the price of a tummy tuck will be is to see Dr. Herbstman in person so he can perform an examination and make a personalized recommendation.
Patients at our New Jersey offices will also have access to CareCredit, a medical payment program that can help create manageable monthly payments. This way, patients won’t have to put their cosmetic dreams on hold while they save up for the cost of the procedure.
What Is the Recovery After a Tummy Tuck?
Because a tummy tuck involves incisions in the abdomen, New Jersey patients should expect a downtime of around one to three weeks. This means they won’t be able to go to work or complete their normal routines during this time. Instead, they should stay home and rest. As soon as possible, patients should try to walk around, as this helps the healing process. However, they should not perform strenuous exercise for several weeks, as this can rip open the incisions.
Patients may also have drains in place to help remove fluid from the abdomen. For some patients, Dr. Herbstman also recommends an abdominal pressure garment to keep everything in place as it heals.
Browse through our tummy tuck patient before and after gallery to see the types of result you could obtain after surgery.