Every year Dr. Herbstman sees hundreds of women in New Jersey about having breast implants placed. And everyone has different goals for their final look. Whether they want to turn more heads, fill out clothes they’ve never been able to fit in, or they’re having reconstruction after a mastectomy, Dr. Herbstman can help each of his patients reach their goals. For many women who see Dr. Herbstman for a consultation, one of their biggest concerns is whether or not they will have a visible scar. After all, most women want to have breasts that aren’t obviously augmented. Keep reading as we discuss how the type of breast implant you choose will affect your incision size.
Breast Implants Incision Options
Breast implants aren’t a one size fits all solution. Therefore, there are different incisions types that can be used based on the needs and desires of each patient.
- Inframammary Incision – This type of incision is the one most New Jersey women choose. The reason is that it is the easiest to hide, as it is placed in the fold of the breast – where the breast meets the ribcage.
- Periareolar Incision – For this type of incision, Dr. Herbstman will create an incision along the bottom of the areola. This incision type will cut through milk ducts, so it not a recommended incision for women who want to breastfeed children in the future. However, it is a great option to ensure symmetry of the breasts.
- Transaxillary Incision – This type of incision avoids the breast altogether. It is placed in the armpit, and from it, a tunnel is created to the breast pocket. This gives New Jersey women the ability to avoid noticeable scarring around their breasts.
Incision Size Based on Type of Breast Implant
The size of your incision for your breast implants will depend on what type of implant you choose to have. At Contemporary Plastic Surgery, Dr. Herbstman offers three main types of breast implants
- Saline Breast Implants – Saline implants come deflated and are only inflated once they have been placed inside the breast pocket. Saline implants are a great choice for women who want a smaller scar, or who want to have their incision placed under their armpit. On the other hand, they are less natural feeling and are more prone to wrinkling.
- Round Silicone Breast Implants – Round silicone implants are made pre-filled to a certain size (cc). This means that in most cases, silicone implants will require a larger scar, but because of today’s advances in breast augmentation, the incision is much smaller than it once was and these are the most natural feeling implants
- Shaped Silicone Breast Implants – Similar to round silicone implants, shaped silicone implants come pre-filled and require a slightly longer incision than saline breast implants. However, these implants provide women with the more subtle look and feel.
Dr. Herbstman Can Help You Make The Best Decision For Your Breast Augmentation
Not only is Dr. Herbstman a board-certified plastic surgeon, but he is also the president of The New Jersey Society of Plastic Surgeons. You’re clearly in good hands when you choose Dr. Herbstman as your surgeon.
Call any of his offices in the New Jersey area today at (732) 254-1919 to get started on your journey to a new and better you!